Thursday, August 5, 2010

The health of our children...

We had an opportunity to have dinner with my husband's college friend and his wife.  She made a wonderful dinner.  She's an excellent cook.  She was a teacher in the late 60's and 70's.  She taught in Catholic schools in Philly.  I was interested in the health of the kids.  Today so many have diabetes, asthma, ADD, allergies to nuts.  I saw that when I did clinicals in elementary schools.  Anyway, because she had a broader experience, I felt she was a good resource.  When I went to school, there were 52 kids in the class, two classes, and I can't remember any sick kids.
Our hostess agreed with me.  As a teacher, she too did not see what so many are afflicted with today.  Her feeling is that our immune systems are changing.  I don't know what it is.  I do think it's interesting.
Could it be the increase of fast foods?  Global warming?  The lack of home cooked meals?  The busy schedules the children have today?  Increased immunizations?  Let me know what you think.  I will continue to explore this change in our children's health.

No comments:

Post a Comment