Sunday, August 29, 2010

And the next food network star is...

Isn't it wonderful how people who love to cook can now get their own shows on TV.  I think the winner of the Next Food Network Star is really interesting and a great cook.  I'm looking forward to her use of the wonderful Indian spices.  I  use cumin and turmeric in a few special recipes and I would like to experiment with more creative uses of these and others.  (see my sweet potato fries video)
I was curious about her and found it exciting that she started as a blogger.  In my day, the only food shows were on WGBH.  And of course, Julia was the forerunner of this huge business that we are all exposed to everyday. And to think, something so basic to human life generates such an interest to so many.  Before all the cooking shows, I used to read my cook books all the time.  I found it very relaxing. Now I watch TV.  I belonged to a cook book club and got some good books from it.  I never pass up a cook book at a yard sale.  If it's a good one, I treasure it.  I have a small home economics text book from the early 1900's that was used in the Boston public schools.  I love it.  And the recipes are not that different from what we use today.  I find the cost of the meals especially fascinating.  Pennies.  (Yes it gives the cost, how to budget, how to take care of the home, etc)
Anyway, I will continue to watch the Food Network, look up the recipes that I want to try, learn new techniques in food preparation and prepare and enjoy good food.

No comments:

Post a Comment